I hope to be the model of a Modern Master Mason.

So… as of this last Wednesday (22 April 2009), I am now a Master Mason.

Masonry has been a part of my family for a few generations now.  Most recently it was my Great Uncle… William Yelland.  He was a Mason to the core and made it to the lofty 32nd degree in the Scottish Rites.  If you were to look at the life he led and the things he had accomplished, there would be no doubt that he was a benefit to the lodge and they to him.

Thinking about it now, this is something that I should have done years ago but I never was able to set aside the time to do so.  This is mostly my fault.  I got lazy and never MADE the time to do this, something that was important to me because of the connection that it has to my family and to myself.

And just remember.

“To become one, ask one.”

Latest posts by Samuel Wright (see all)

7 thoughts on “I hope to be the model of a Modern Master Mason.”

1. First off, congrats! It is quite impressive to see the family history and skill passed on.

How did you end up taking this path in life?

I, frankly, have a bit of envy as my career choice does not really provide me with the ability to see what I've done in a day.

2. Actually I think you misunderstand. I am not a \"MASON\" in the literal sense of the word, though I do dabble in the art here at my home. I am a member of the Masons… a fraternal organization. I have spent the last year working to reach the status of Master Mason.

3. Actually I think you misunderstand. I am not a \"MASON\" in the literal sense of the word, though I do dabble in the art here at my home. I am a member of the Masons… a fraternal organization. I have spent the last year working to reach the status of Master Mason.

4. Actually I think you misunderstand. I am not a \"MASON\" in the literal sense of the word, though I do dabble in the art here at my home. I am a member of the Masons… a fraternal organization. I have spent the last year working to reach the status of Master Mason.

5. Well then, that is a bit different then, isn't it!

I was a bit confused as to what "32nd degree in the Scottish Rites" had to do with construction, but seeing it does not that makes a bunch of sense then!

So, congrats on the Master Mason level. I've heard the Freemasons do quite a bit of charity work – so my friend who is in says. Usually don't say much else tho.

Again, congrats!

6. There is actually not a lot of secret to what we do. We are a very philanthropic lot. There is a great deal of history to the Masons and I can track my family in them to about three hundred years ago when we were, on my Mother's side, still in Scotland and Ireland.

Like I said though… unrelated to the degree, there is a pile of bricks and a couple bags of mortor waiting to be played with in my back yard, if the dogs would stop peeing on them… then again, that might be adding character to the work in advance.